The Most Important Thing You Can Ever Do
Just saying that there is a most important thing you can ever do sounds dangerous. Aren’t we all different? Aren’t we all in different circumstances? So is there a single most important thing everyone can do? Jesus said there was – and we are following Jesus, so we should listen!
And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ Mark 12:28–30 (ESV)
So, there it is: Love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength – in other words with everything we’ve got!
What is Love?
Love is the first word we take note of. And in this verse it is a verb – it is what we are to do! It’s not a noun – what we have. It’s not an adjective – what we feel. It is a verb – a call to action!
10 Reasons to Love God
- He loves us. No matter what we’ve done or failed to do. No matter if our attitude is good or bad. He loves us and never stops loving us!
- He blesses us. There are many ways he blesses us – I guess everything on this list but there is a blessing from God that defies description. It is something we experience in every circumstance of life.
- He gives us hope. We have an inextinguishable hope that sustains us through all of life. It is a gift from God!
- He gives us purpose. When we follow Jesus, he gives us an eternal purpose within the Kingdom of God. He allows us to make a profound and transformational difference in the world.
- He provides protection. No matter what is happening, we can be sure his hand of protection is on us. As long as he has work for us to do, we can be sure that we are safe. When our work on earth is over, we can be sure we are going home to be with him.
- He never leaves us. In a world where abandonment is common, he is faithfully with us all the way!
- He gives us strength. We need his strength to continue to follow. He gives us incredible strength to bear up under all circumstances of life.
- He gives us power. His presence in our lives allows us to obey and bring supernatural power into many different circumstances.
- He gives us every good thing. Since God alone is good and since every good and perfect gift comes from him (James 1:17) – all of the good things of life are from him!
- He gives us eternal abundant life. This is the promise and the present experience of every follower of Jesus.
But wait – the word for love is from the Greek ‘agape’ – it’s unconditional and self-giving love. It’s a love that originates from God and requires no reason or justification to give. When we follow Jesus, he gives us an endless supply of this love. This love flows through our lives and we control the flow! (If you are not following Jesus, here’s how. If you are struggling to follow, be encouraged!) So Jesus tells us to give the love back to God with all that we have! So, we love God no matter what happens.
We Love God Even When:
He doesn’t answer prayer as we want
Our circumstances are difficult
We are frustrated with life
People treat us badly
We suffer unexplained loss
Life is a struggle We get ourselves in trouble
We run out of patience
Faced with uncertainty
Things are going good and we are tempted to think we don’t need him.
Our love for God never depends on our circumstances. We love God no matter what!
Do you love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength? Jesus clearly states this as the most important thing we can do! Try this right now: Tell him that you love him. Take a little time to worship him. And make sure you have answered the ten crucial questions!
If this post has been helpful, please pass it on! If you have questions or struggles I am available to help you!