Five Keys to Help Overcome Inconsistency
Consistency is one of the most important indicators that we are growing and thriving as followers of Jesus. Life is full of ups and downs. When we continually live like Jesus, following him every day, we are truly living the abundant life and our lives prove to be an inspiration to others. This consistency changes our world.
Yet consistency is strangely elusive! So many followers admire those who walk in a consistent manner but don’t know how to do it or haven’t made the necessary changes in their lives.
What are the most important things that we do to gain consistency in our walk with Jesus?
- Daily prayer. Spending time in prayer every single day strengthens us for the twists and turns of life. No compromise in this area is acceptable. Spending time alone with God is essential. When we do this, we find it easier to pray to him throughout our day!
- Daily time in the Word. God’s word is an anchor point for our faith. When we feed ourselves daily with spiritual truth, we grow stronger. We cannot have consistency when we are starving for the truth! This is another no compromise area.
- Weekly worship and fellowship. This can be a very hard discipline to establish. But failure to engage in worship and fellowship each week damages our faith profoundly. There are multiple times to gather for worship in nearly every community. Find the time, find the place in a strong Bible believing and teaching church, and let nothing stand in your way. Again, do not compromise or make excuses. For your time of worship each week, there is nothing more important to do – NOTHING!
- Guarding relationships. We must ask of every relationship: “Is (insert name here) making me more like the world, or am I making (insert name here) more like Jesus?” If we are going in the wrong direction, it’s time to drastically change the nature of the relationship. Likewise, we want to build our relationships with everyone who helps us become more like Jesus! We need these people in our lives!
- Service in the Kingdom of God. When we find a place of service, it puts us in a place of repeated obedience. Whether our service is big or little by human standards, all that we do in obedience is absolutely huge! We may serve in traditional ways: Sunday School teacher, usher, greeter. Or we may serve in less traditional ways: shut-in visitation, phone call prayer, card writer. Whatever God wants us to do, when we do it week in and week out, it builds great consistency.
When you do these five things, you begin to gain a level of consistency in your life that will help you grow spiritually. It will help others grow spiritually as well. You will be an inspiration and encouragement to others. All this is world changing! All this is abundant living! That’s what we are here to do!!
If you are just starting out in your spiritual walk with Jesus, you can find some more help here. If you would like some personal and confidential help with any kind of question related to following Jesus, contact me here.